Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents across the country. Our over-scheduled days paired with devices that beep and talk to you can shift your focus from the road, which is where it should be while behind the wheel. Use the following tips to limit road distractions and develop safer driving habits.
- Familiarize yourself with the route ahead of time. Even if you’re using a GPS, it’s a good idea to browse the driving directions in advance so you have an idea of where you’re going and what street signs to watch for.
- If you’re driving an unfamiliar car (such as a rental), take a moment to learn where the basic controls are before shifting into gear so there’s no need to fumble around once on the road.
- Manage your music before driving. Set the radio preset buttons, pop in a CD and/or make an MP3 playlist. This limits the amount of time you spend scrolling through menus or messing with knobs.
- Provide your children with books, toys or movies to keep them occupied while in the car. Never reach behind you to discipline children because that motion can cause you to lose control of the vehicle.
- Secure pets in a crate or seat harness so there’s no need to keep them in check with driving.
- However tempting it may be to multitask, do not eat while driving. Food spills are a leading cause of driving distractions. Not to mention, it takes your focus away from the road.
- Studies have shown that drowsy driving is nearly as dangerous as drunk driving. If you feel yourself start to nod off, pull over immediately and take a 15 to 20 minute power nap before heading home.
- Limit cell phone use to emergencies only. And, if you must take or make a call, use a hands-free headset or Bluetooth system to you can keep both hands on the wheel.
Your safety is our priority. Call Ed Weeren Insurance Agency of Austin at 512.454.5266 for more information on Austin auto insurance.