As the warmth of spring melts through the winter cold, it’s easy to forget the damage harsh winter weather may have done to your house. This blog contains tips for spring home maintenance that can help prevent costly repair bills down the road.
Tips for Spring Home Maintenance
Spring is the perfect time to make home repairs you’ve put off in colder months. Consider the following spring tips to prepare your home for the months ahead:
- Clean windows and screens. Improve the amount of natural light in your home and increase the longevity of your windows and screens by giving them a good cleaning this spring.
- Inspect your roof. Repair any damage caused by snow or ice to prevent leaks during spring storms.
- Check your water appliances. Inspect the hoses and pipes on your large water appliances (e.g., dishwashers and laundry machines) for leaks or cracks that could cause water damage.
- Clear your gutters. Routinely clear debris from your gutters and downspouts to prevent water from backing up during spring storms.
- Test your smoke detectors. Ensure your smoke detectors are in good condition by testing every smoke alarm in your home and changing the batteries.
- Service your HVAC. Clean or replace the filters of your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This could save you money by allowing your HVAC to run more efficiently.
- Seal windows and doors. Check the seals around your windows and doors for cracks or signs of hardening caulk and seal any gaps to prevent leaks.
- Declutter your home and garage. Removing unnecessary or unwanted items from your home can increase the amount of space you have, and it can improve air circulation.
Prepare for the Unexpected
No matter how careful you are, incidents can still occur. A heavy spring storm could knock a tree down on your property, or a crack in your house’s foundation could cause water damage. When the unexpected happens, homeowners insurance can provide financial protection. It is a binding contract between you and your insurer in which they agree to pay for covered losses (e.g., property damage or liability lawsuits) up to your policy limits.
Getting Homeowners Insurance
The right homeowners insurance policy can provide peace of mind. Contact Ed Weeren Insurance Agency Inc. in Austin, Texas, to learn more about our homeowners insurance coverage policies and to get a free homeowners insurance quote.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.